In general, foreign institutions and international organizations, including public or private non-profit or for-profit organizations, are eligible to apply for research project grants.
Foreign institutions and international organizations are generally not eligible to apply for Kirschstein-NRSA institutional research training grants, program project grants, center grants, resource grants, SBIR/STTR grants, or construction grants. However, some activity codes, such as program project grants (P01), may support projects awarded to a domestic institution with a foreign component.
Activity Codes/Types of Programs:
Each Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) is associated with one or more activity codes, which represent different types of grant programs (e.g. D43, G11, R01, R03). A comprehensive list of activity codes is at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/funding/ac_search_results.htm.
The following activity codes do NOT allow foreign applicants:
- R13/U13 - Support for Conferences and Scientific Meetings (the meeting may be held at an international location, but the grantee must be a U.S.-based Institution)
- R41/42 - Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) awards
- R43/44 - Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) awards
- K awards (except K99) - Career Development awards
The following activity codes almost never allow foreign applicants:
- P awards - Research Program Projects and Centers
- T awards - NRSA Institutional Training Programs
- F awards - NRSA Fellowship Programs
The following activity codes were designed specifically for foreign applicants/ international collaborations:
- D43 - AIDS International Training and Research Program
- F05 - International Research Fellowships
- G11 - International Extramural Associates Research Development Awards (IEARDA)
- T37 - Minority International Research Training Grants
- U2R/ U2G - International Cooperative Agreements (e.g. training, capacity building, HIV/AIDS prevention and care).
Selected Special Programs for Foreign Applicants (R awards)
Selected Special Programs for Foreign Applicants (D43, F05, G11 awards)
Note: For help accessing PDF, RTF, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, RealPlayer, Video or Flash files, see Help Downloading Files.