Why does Research Integrity Matter?
Trust & the Research Enterprise
The scientific research enterprise is built on a deep foundation of trust:
"this trust will endure only if the scientific community devotes itself to exemplifying and transmitting the values associated with ethical scientific conduct"
- the Committee on Science, Engineering, and Public Policy, The National Academies, (Committee on Science et al., 2009)
Failure to uphold research integrity undermines confidence and trust.
Whether you are a researcher or a member of the public, research integrity affects you.
Here are some of the reasons:
- Researchers rely on trustworthy results of other researchers to make scientific progress.
- Researchers rely on public support, whether through public investments or their voluntary participation in experiments, to further science.
- The public relies on scientific progress to better the lives of everyone.
- The public could actually be harmed by researchers who are dishonest and act without regards to integrity.